Cook Islands Sessional Legislation
MARRIAGE AMENDMENT ACT 2007
Examined and certified by:
Clerk of the Parliament
In the name and on behalf of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second I hereby assent to this Act this 16th day of April 2007.
Sir Goodwin, KBE
l. Short Title
2. Marriage between persons of same gender prohibited
An Act to amend the Marriage Act 1973 by prohibiting persons of the same gender from marrying each other
BE IT ENACTED by the Parliament of the Cook Islands in Session assembled and by the authority of the same, as follows:
1. Short Title - This Act may be cited as the Marriage Amendment Act 2007 and shall be read together with and deemed part of the Marriage Act 1973 ("the principal Act").
2. Marriage between persons of same gender prohibited - The principal Act is amended by inserting after section 15 the following-
"15A. Marriage between persons of same gender prohibited - (1) No person shall be permitted to marry another person who is of the same gender as him or herself.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) a person who has been born as a male or as a female as the case may be, shall be deemed for the purposes of this Act always to be of that gender, notwithstanding that he or she may have undergone surgical or other medical treatment to give that person the physical characteristics of the opposite gender."
3. Repeal - The Marriage (Amendment) Act 2000 is repealed.
This Act is administered by the Ministry of Justice