Fiji Subsidiary Legislation
FISHERIES (PROTECTION OF TURTLES) (AMENDMENT)
IN exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 9(g) of the Fisheries Act, I make these Regulations -
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Fisheries (Protection of Turtles) (Amendments) Regulations 2004.
Fisheries Regulations are amended
2. The Fisheries Regulations are amended by inserting the following regulations immediately after regulation 20 -
"Moratorium on molesting, taking or killing of turtles
20.A. - (1) Notwithstanding regulation 20, no person shall -
(a) in any way molest, or take or kill turtles of any species;
(b) sell, offer, or expose for sale or export any turtle shell or flesh; or
(c) dig up, use, take or destroy turtle eggs of any species.
(2) The Minister may, upon a written request by any person, exempt that person by writing under his hand, from subregulation (1).
(3) This regulation expires on 31st December 2008.
(4) Subject to subregulation (2), any person who contravenes subregulation (1) commits an offence and is liable on conviction to the penalty set out in section 10(2)(c) of the Act."
Made this 1st day of February 2004.
K. T. YABAKI
Ministers for Fisheries and Forests